The House of Morelos
Address: De Las Palomas, Izcalli Jardines, 55270 Ecatepec de Morelos, Méx., Mexico
Dedicated to José María Morelos y Pavón, the museum is housed in a building dating back to 1747.
It was built by the Royal Tribunal of the Consulate in the middle of the eighteenth century and served as accommodation for the viceroys before his arrival in the capital of New Spain, for that reason he was named as “House of the Viceroys.” In Ecatepec, it is known as the House of Morelos, because the “Servant of the Nation” spent his last moments there. Now it is under the protection of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH).
It was decreed a historical monument in 1933, because there was carried out the imprisonment and execution of the general, hero of the Mexican War of Independence. The execution took place on December 22, 1815, and it was until 1864 that a monument was erected in his honor on the outside of this enclosure.
In 1990 it opened the doors to the public like Community Center and in 1992 formally acquired the status of museum. He preserves and diffuses various objects related to the hero, such as the cart that took him to the place of his death. It also presents archaeological and paleontological pieces of the region, such as the bones of a mammoth found in the Municipality of Ecatepec.
This community center has eight rooms, five for temporary exhibitions and three for permanent exhibitions: Sala Celda Morelos, Living Room and work of Morelos and Sala Capilla Abierta.
Besides the colonial architecture of the house and the chapel, decorative pictorial elements of the time are displayed on the main entrance arch and on door and window frames. It also has a collection of easel painting representing religious images and civil characters from the viceregal era, as well as a carriage, furniture, some architectural instruments, trunks, hardware and various objects.